Lake Charles Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys
Contact the firm today at 1-833-SUDDUTH for an appointment.
At first glance, the criminal process between the State Court system and the Federal Court system seems similar. In both systems there is an:
- Investigative Stage – involving law enforcement gathering facts and witnesses
- Arrest – pending the results an arrest warrant may be issued, if an arrest warrant is issued then the question of detention or release on bail begins
- Bail – your attorney can move on your behalf to have a bail set with conditions to avoid detention.
- Pre-Trial Motions – these are initial appearances, arraignments, and motions for preliminary examinations
- Discovery – information is exchanged between both sides
- Pre-Trial Hearings – these are the stages where offers/negotiations/deals are exchanged between both sides in an attempt to resolve the case without the need for a trial
- Trial – is the actual empaneling of a jury to hear the case.
- Post-Trial Motions/Appeals – it is important to note that this section is more fully covered here, however for this brief purpose let us say that if the Defendant wins, i.e. a Verdict of Not Guilty is entered, the case by and large is over. However, if the State wins, i.e. a Verdict of Guilty is entered, the case is far from over and the Defendant has many tools available to them to challenge that ruling.
His passion for helping people sets him apart from any other attorney in this area.
“Smart, driven, direct, passionate. Amazing man, which makes him an amazing attorney. Treated me and my family as if we were a part of his. I am forever grateful for the hard work and dedication he put into my case.”
If you're looking for an attorney to fight for you, call James.
“Throughout the entire ordeal, James could not have been more professional, courteous and knowledgeable regarding my employment issue. He was prompt with his responses and could not have shown more compassion for the issue.”
If having someone on your side that gives a 110% and delivers a quality product is important, then James Sudduth III comes with my highest personal recommendation.
“If having someone on your side that gives a 110% and delivers a quality product is important, then James Sudduth III comes with my highest personal recommendation.”
They truly care about the legal issues I face, and aren't just 'going through the motions.'
“James & his caring team of professionals are a cut above the rest. They truly care about the legal issues I face, and aren't just 'going through the motions.' It's been a tremendous help during this transitional period in my life to have Jame”
Outside of this very broad overview, the two systems vary greatly. You will need a trial attorney with experience in dealing with the Federal system. Usually in Federal cases the Pre-Trial Hearing stage is vastly different than in State court and an inexperienced defense attorney can mistakenly place their client in a much worse position by trying to force a case into trial.
However, the greatest difference lies in the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. A highly convoluted and complicated guideline that often times ties the hands of prosecutors and judges in issuing the fairest sentence. You will need a detail-oriented attorney who can navigate those complex waters to give you the best result possible.
Our Firm consists of talented attorneys and paralegals with experience filing documents into the Federal system along with attorneys who have worked for Federal judges and then the Federal Criminal System from the inside. Mr. Sudduth has not only clerked for Federal judges but tried numerous cases in the Federal system. That experience coupled with his experience as a former State prosecutor makes him an invaluable asset to have in your corner.
While we never guarantee outcomes, because each case is so different and unique, our Lake Charles federal criminal defense lawyers have seen much success over time in aggressively defending our clients. Those results include lesser jail sentences, probation in lieu of jail time, reduced conditions and time on probation, deferred adjudication and diversion of charges, and even outright dismissal of charges. Outcomes cannot be guaranteed by anyone, but at Sudduth and Associates, we pride ourselves on guaranteeing to our clients our heart, our passion, and our every effort.
Having the experienced team of paralegals, investigators, and attorneys at Sudduth & Associates, LLC on your side is invaluable to you receiving the best possible outcome. Call us today to see how we can help you level the playing field to get the best possible outcome in your case!