Lake Charles Bankruptcy Attorneys
Start Over on Your Own Terms
Filing for bankruptcy is not a decision someone makes lightly. Reaching a point where you are so deeply in debt that declaring bankruptcy seems like your best option comes at the end of a long a troubling road filled with overdue bills piling up, screening calls from debt collectors, and mounting stress. At Sudduth & Associates, LLC in Lake Charles, we understand that you have been through a lot to reach this point. We are prepared to get you through the bankruptcy process as smoothly and painlessly as possible. We hope that by the end of our time working together, you come to view bankruptcy as we do—as a fresh start.
Bankruptcy is a bad situation that can happen to anyone. We don’t want you to feel trapped or like you have failed—there are so many factors that can lead to debt in our modern world that you should not beat yourself up for reaching this point. The fact that you have decided to declare bankruptcy means that you have acknowledged your problem and wish to fix it. We are here to help you do just that.
Filing for Bankruptcy in Louisiana
When it comes to filing for bankruptcy, there are two main types available to individuals and small businesses:
- Chapter 7: Chapter 7 is the most common type of bankruptcy. This option eliminates eligible debts completely, allowing you to start over with a clean slate. This type of bankruptcy is reserved for individuals or businesses who do not have enough income to reasonably pay off their debts over the next few years, so they most likely will have to give up some of their property—though not necessarily.
- Chapter 13: This option can provide debt relief by setting up a repayment plan, preventing the necessity of property loss. Chapter 13 is favored by individuals or businesses who have enough steady income that they could foreseeably pay off their debt over a period of three to five years.
Our Lake Charles bankruptcy lawyers can help you decide which option is right for you. We will offer competent and clear advice so you can easily understand the pros and cons of each and decide for yourself which path to take.
Other ways an attorney can assist with your bankruptcy filing include:
- Explain any confusing procedures and legalese
- Navigate bankruptcy rules and laws to your advantage
- Prepare and file all necessary paperwork on your behalf
- Represent you at any required hearings
- Provide legal guidance throughout the entire process
Filing for bankruptcy can take weeks or months and involves many forms and procedures. Besides one or more hearings, you will have to participate in credit counseling, educational courses, and meetings. It is a long and stressful process, but it doesn’t have to be if you hire a lawyer.
Why Choose Sudduth & Associates, LLC
Our roots go deep in Lake Charles. The Sudduth family has lived and worked here for generations, and our firm honors our predecessors through community involvement and legal guidance for our neighbors. Helping you navigate a situation as complicated and stressful as bankruptcy allows us to give back to the community we love so dearly.
Together, our team of attorneys has over 100 years of combined legal experience and we collaborate on each case, offering each other strategies and feedback. We are accessible and communicative, so you can reach us any time and you will never be kept in the dark on the progress of your case. We want to help you feel grounded throughout your bankruptcy case so you can come out on top.
To learn more about how we can help you navigate bankruptcy, contact us today.
Over 100 Years of Collective Experience
Former Prosecutor Who Knows Both Sides of the Law
Long Roots in the Local Community
Cutting-Edge Technology to Bring You More Convenience
Collaborative Approach to Your Case
Highly Communicative & Responsive
“If having someone on your side that gives a 110% and delivers a quality product is important, then James Sudduth III comes with my highest personal recommendation.”- Chris
“Throughout the entire ordeal, James could not have been more professional, courteous and knowledgeable regarding my employment issue. He was prompt with his responses and could not have shown more compassion for the issue.”- Former Client
“James & his caring team of professionals are a cut above the rest. They truly care about the legal issues I face, and aren't just 'going through the motions.' It's been a tremendous help during this transitional period in my life to have Jame”- Ashley